Home > Topics > Shanghai World Expo
Shanghai to do utmost to ensure safe, enjoyable expo
2010/03/11

BEIJING, March 10 (Xinhuanet) -- Shanghai will do its utmost to ensure the security and food safety of the Shanghai World Expo, making it a smooth, safe and enjoyable event, a senior official with the Shanghai World Expo executive committee has said.

Security is the safeguard for the success of a world expo and the municipal government will take all measures possible to secure the event, said Zhou Hanmin, deputy director of the Executive Committee of Shanghai Expo 2010, during an exclusive interview with Xinhuanet on Wednesday.

Zhou Hanmin, deputy director of Executive Committee of the Shanghai Expo 2010, and also a member of the Standing Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), gives an interview with Xinhuanet on March 10, 2010, in Beijing. (Xinhua Photo)

Zhou Hanmin, deputy director of Executive Committee of the Shanghai Expo 2010, and also a member of the Standing Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), gives an interview with Xinhuanet on March 10, 2010, in Beijing. (Xinhua Photo)

"If you go to Shanghai you can see a lot of measures we are taking," said Zhou, who is also a member of the Standing Committee  of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC). He added that everything has been done in a very systematic, quiet and smooth way.

"Security covers a very wide range of issues, like traffic arrangement, sanitation, assistance, safety for information transportation...Though I don't know much about the details of the plan, we are going to create the safest event so far in the history of the world expo," the deputy director stressed.

 

Zhou Hanmin (L), deputy director of the Executive Committee of Shanghai Expo 2010, and also a member of the Standing Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), gives an interview with Xinhuanet on March 10, 2010, in Beijing. (Xinhua Photo)

Zhou Hanmin (L), deputy director of the Executive Committee of Shanghai Expo 2010, and also a member of the Standing Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), gives an interview with Xinhuanet on March 10, 2010, in Beijing. (Xinhua Photo)

Food safety has also been one of the major concerns of visitors to the event which will last 184 days. About 85 percent of the estimated 70 million visitors to the Expo are expected to eat inside the Expo zone, which will have more than 130 restaurants, a Chinese traditional food street and food sections inside pavilions.

Zhou said in order to ensure the food safety, a scientific and effective supervision system covering food supply, transportation, storage and service has been set up.

All food must be checked before being sent into the Expo zone and restaurants around the Expo zone will also be checked.

The Expo, to be held for the first time in a developing country, will run from May 1 to Oct. 31, 2010.

The six-month event, with the theme "Better City, Better Life," is expected to attract more than 400,000 visitors per day on average to see exhibits from 192 countries and 50 international organizations.

Construction of all pavilions and transportation facilities will have been completed by the mid-April and a soft opening, with 200,000 people a day, will take place from April 20 to 25. 

 

Suggest to a friend:   
Print